Up North - Part 2
Thanks for reading on, to the second installment of the "Up North" adventure...












Did I mention--we stayed at an out-of-season ski resort? (Note the lack of snow...)

There's a lot of heated talk about guns in America, and once in a while I would be asked, "Teacher, do you have a gun" by a curious student in Taiwan. The truth is that I didn't grow up with guns and have never really had the desire to be around them. However, a high school biology teacher I respected very much explained to us once that his low opinion of deer hunting was changed after visiting Northern Michigan and seeing how the animals were starving to death as a result of overpopulation and loss of habitat. I guess my opinion on the issue (rifles, that is, not handguns--another topic entirely) is that a very regulated "hunting season" has the benefit of thinning out the deer population in Michigan and elsewhere.
Nevertheless, when friends Up North asked if I wanted to come along for some shooting--a pistol no less, not even rifles--I found myself packed into an SUV with four other guys on our way out to a remote stretch of woods where shooting was tolerated. The guys set up a target on a tree stump about 20 feet away, and we took turns aiming and shooting. Don't ask me about caliber or other gun specifics... It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but I guess I went along for a laugh...and now I can say I've done it. To the credit of my friends, everything was done with careful attention to safety. I don't have any photos of me cocking and shooting, but this is what we picked out of our tree stump later...


And even though it wasn't hunting season, hunting culture tends to prevail...

As for other things one can do in the woods, my hiking friends--you know who you are!--will happy to know that I got out for a bit of a tramp through the woods... And those of you who saved my life once on a hike in Taiwan--you know who you are!--you'll be happy to know I survived...


...and the eventual payoff was to arrive at sand dunes along the shores of Lake Michigan...


Who said I'd be leaving beaches behind when I left Asia!

Finally, as I wrap up Part 2 here, I have to admit that before this trip, I think I was harboring some misconceptions about Northern Michigan--honestly, I thought it would be all hick towns. The truth is somewhat different. Northern Michigan's focus as resort territory means that the small towns are more "cute" than "tough," and gift shops way outnumber gun shops. My sister has a funny perspective on it, however, as a year-round resident--one of about 8,000 in a town that swells to over 25,000 in the summer. She says the year-round locals call the tourists "Fudgies" as they are often seen buying the chocolate fudge, a local specialty, in large quantities. Oh, she also says they drive terribly.
One such part of her town of Petoskey goes so far as to close down the whole district in the winter, with roads barricaded and summer residents asked to vacate. Here are a few shots from this very exclusive summer-only community of Bayview...


And finally, enjoy some more shots from Petoskey and Boyne City...




Did I mention--we stayed at an out-of-season ski resort? (Note the lack of snow...)

...where geese make themselves at home easily...

...but it helps to arrive there in style...

Stay tuned for a trip to Mackinac Island in the next installment!

1 Comments:
Nice pictures!!
When I first saw the title, I thought you came to Canadia... and I got all excited (Not that northern Michigan isn't exciting or anything).
The wonderful thing about the States (and Canada, of course) is the variety of landscape it offers. And the massiveness.... You know what they say, "Everything is bigger in America."
Also glad to know that you survived the hike. Guess it's a good thing that Peter is in Atlanta, eh?!
Kate
Post a Comment
<< Home