The Police and Elvis Costello, Live in Detroit
Well, if you've followed my blog this summer, you know that I've converted a few of my hard-earned (?) NT dollars into US cash to buy tickets to rock concerts. Actually, in each case (four gigs so far this summer) I bought tickets on line in Taipei. One can't wait till the last minute with these things!









Anyway, last week's concert was, in many ways, the Big One--the One I'd Been Waiting For. For how long? Well, the last time The Police went on tour, I was 13 years old...and it was decided by my parents that I wasn't quite old enough. But how I went nuts one day in the summer of '83 riding Amtrak past Chicago's Comiskey Park, where fans were pouring in for a Police concert. And how they eluded me again later that same summer when we were stuck in traffic in Montreal--traffic headed to, you guessed it, a Police concert. I don't supposde anyone imagined they'd ever tour anymore, but last year, they set out on the road once again--putting aside whatever differences had kept them apart for more than 20 years...and perhaps having it explained to them that it might indeed pay handsomely... During Chinese New Year in February this year, some LTTC friends of mine made the short trip to Macau to see them, but I chose to remain in Taipei for Sabrina's first New Year. So when my sister Heidi told me The Police were coming to Detroit this summer, I had to get on it!
I honestly thought I might be seeing a sort of bland going-through-the-motions, collect-the-paycheck-and-split kind of show...but thankfully, I was very wrong. The Police were on fire! Without the background singers and other extra musicians they took on previous tours, the band was able to cut loose and play heavy, power trio rock. But this is the Police, so there was still the sophisticated musicality--Stewart Copeland all over the drum kit, Sting moving the songs to whole new places with interesting bass lines, and Andy Summers (the biggest surprise of the night) absolutely tearing it up on guitar. (Who knew he could play like that!?) Sting in particular has gotten a lot of criticism for perceived arrogance, but it was easy to forget about all of that and enjoy the fantastic music. The best thing is that they were thinking about what they were playing, and the "hit" songs we all remember from radio and MTV in the 80s were totally reinvented, sounding very fresh and interesting--instead of just sounding like a "Greatest Hits" CD had been popped in for them to lip synch to.
Anyway, the band is apprently going to end it all with a show in New York in the middle of this month...so if what I've written has piqued your interest, look for a possible CD/DVD in the near future.
Here are some images of the evening. Incidentally, Elvis Costello and the Attracions opened the show with a fun, energetic set.
The prized tickets...

Elvis Costello had to play in daylight hours, deprived of the darkness needed for any kind of light show...


Here, Sting joins Elvis Costello for "Alison." They had so much fun that they broke into giggles at one point and couldn't sing...

And now, The Police...




And finally, the band members wave goodbye and leave the stage...

Sad to say, that's probably it for summer gigs.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home