Indianapolis, The "Indy" City
OK, I have to admit that a few days ago, I started to feel the effects of big-city withdrawl. While I wasn't always thrilled about every aspect of Taipei's full-on urban insanity, I have always been attracted to the buzz of big cities. Nearby, our "big city" is Indianapolis, and while it might never become the fashion, cultural, or economic center that New York and Chicago are, it can make for a good day out. More positively, Indianapolis does seem to be very much alive, in stark contrast to Detroit and Toledo, which Kitty keenly noted. Anyway, we saw some skyscrapers and visited a big mall--only about an hour away.
Downtown scene...

Circle Centre Mall...


In American cities, "urban renewal" can be a tough issue. There are a lot of good ideas, and a few cities (Pittsburgh, for example) can show off attractively revitalized areas, but quite often American cities become neglected ghost towns in parts.
Indianapolis, however, boasts a stylish new neighborhood built along the banks of a canal. Fancy condos line both sides of the canal, and joggers and dog-walkers use the sidewalks next to the water. For an American big city, this isn't bad--a model, perhaps, for what more cities could do.




Sabrina, of course, liked the big cement ball...


On our way out, the state capitol...

...and although it's not a good shot, football fans might enjoy seeing the soon-to-be-demolished RCA Dome. (The Colts have a new home at Lucas Oil Stadium down the road.)

Sabrina has a welcome rest on the ride home...
Downtown scene...

Circle Centre Mall...


In American cities, "urban renewal" can be a tough issue. There are a lot of good ideas, and a few cities (Pittsburgh, for example) can show off attractively revitalized areas, but quite often American cities become neglected ghost towns in parts.
Indianapolis, however, boasts a stylish new neighborhood built along the banks of a canal. Fancy condos line both sides of the canal, and joggers and dog-walkers use the sidewalks next to the water. For an American big city, this isn't bad--a model, perhaps, for what more cities could do.




Sabrina, of course, liked the big cement ball...


On our way out, the state capitol...

...and although it's not a good shot, football fans might enjoy seeing the soon-to-be-demolished RCA Dome. (The Colts have a new home at Lucas Oil Stadium down the road.)

Sabrina has a welcome rest on the ride home...

1 Comments:
Wow, the area with the canals has a bit of an European flair, like a developing Amsterdam.
...or maybe Taichung! (I'm guessing they don't smell like sewage though.)
All in all, I think it looks like a really cool place to hang out for a while, good luck to you in your studies and good luck to Kitty and Sabrina as they face their first "real" winter there.
I hope your apartment has a good heating system. When I moved back to Canada, I got a place that included heat in the rent....I'm ashamed to say that I actually set off the fire alarm once just by keeping the place a tad toasty.
Post a Comment
<< Home