Big Ten Hoosier Football!
Here in the US, on Saturdays in the fall, college football is a big deal. A really big deal. Friends of mine who are citizens of other countries have been pretty dismayed at my descriptions of college football--the intensity of training, the universities' focus of resources on the sport, and the big-money media attention paid to the whole business of it all. Over the years, we've heard all kinds of dirty stories about what really goes on in college football--illegal recruiting, players who never step inside a classroom, etc.--but I have to admit, big American universities wouldn't be the same without football.
As I now attend a "Big Ten" university and reside in a city where big games are played only two miles away, I figured I had to go take in some college football excitement. So last Saturday, I got myself a ticket and headed over to the stadium for some real Big Ten football. By the way, the Big Ten refers to the biggest (and athletically most important) universities in the Midwest. They include Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, and Penn State. Wait a minute! That's 11! Yes, that's right--Penn State joined a few years ago, but they haven't changed the "Big Ten" name!
Here are a few shots from game day. First, the "Tailgate Party." "Tailgate" of course refers to the hatchback of a car which can be opened and from which alcohol can be distributed to minors. You get the idea. There's also a lot of barbecue smoke and a loud car stereo or two. Great fun...


Inside the Memorial Stadium. (What's it a "memorial" to, I wonder? The perpetual death of the Indiana Hoosiers football team?)



The marching band in their own section...

Michigan State scores one of their numerous touchdowns...

Ah, halftime--time for the marching band, the only activity which ever took me onto a football field in an official capacity...



If my dad is viewing the pictures, I'd like to ask him to kindly restrain his rage at this one...

Yes, even if you're losing, there's always cheer...

By the end of the fourth quarter not too many Hoosier fans were left in the stands. But do note the green shirts on the left. These are Michigan State fans--hell, if you've traveled 6 hours from East Lansing, Michigan, and you've got nowhere else to go, you might as well enjoy yourself!

And finally, the final score...

I guess there's always next week...
As I now attend a "Big Ten" university and reside in a city where big games are played only two miles away, I figured I had to go take in some college football excitement. So last Saturday, I got myself a ticket and headed over to the stadium for some real Big Ten football. By the way, the Big Ten refers to the biggest (and athletically most important) universities in the Midwest. They include Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, and Penn State. Wait a minute! That's 11! Yes, that's right--Penn State joined a few years ago, but they haven't changed the "Big Ten" name!
Here are a few shots from game day. First, the "Tailgate Party." "Tailgate" of course refers to the hatchback of a car which can be opened and from which alcohol can be distributed to minors. You get the idea. There's also a lot of barbecue smoke and a loud car stereo or two. Great fun...


Inside the Memorial Stadium. (What's it a "memorial" to, I wonder? The perpetual death of the Indiana Hoosiers football team?)



The marching band in their own section...

Michigan State scores one of their numerous touchdowns...

Ah, halftime--time for the marching band, the only activity which ever took me onto a football field in an official capacity...



If my dad is viewing the pictures, I'd like to ask him to kindly restrain his rage at this one...

Yes, even if you're losing, there's always cheer...

By the end of the fourth quarter not too many Hoosier fans were left in the stands. But do note the green shirts on the left. These are Michigan State fans--hell, if you've traveled 6 hours from East Lansing, Michigan, and you've got nowhere else to go, you might as well enjoy yourself!

And finally, the final score...

I guess there's always next week...

1 Comments:
Reminds me of Friday Night Lights.
Post a Comment
<< Home